12.25.2009

Merry Christmas

It's Christmas Day and we're snowed into the house. It was a blizzard, and it continues to snow. I think we'll end up with about 15 inches of snow!

Last night Jason and I opened one gift each. We got each other (much-needed) clothes. Man, he has good taste. Anyway, it was fun to watch Sam "help" open gifts. He loved helping tear the paper and was beating the boxes.

Sam is taking about four 8-ounce bottles a day with some rice cereal and veggies. At times, he'll take five bottles. Yesterday he had his usual four and fussed a bit to go to sleep. At about 11:45, however, he began to holler. I didn't know if it was because he was wet (we put him in an overnite diaper...which we love), but he was HUNGRY. So I fed him a bottle.

At about midnight, I just held him. He sat on my lap facing me and played with my zipper on my hoodie. I kept telling him Merry Christmas, how Santa was going from house to house, and how he was the best Christmas present ever...but I know he didn't know what I was talking about.

My mom gave each of us kid an ornament every year, and when we left home she gave us our shoebox of ornaments. I have one ornament of a little wooden baby wrapped in a burlap fabric in a wooden cradle. It is so precious, and I remember being a little girl holding the ornament in my hand. A couple years ago, we were undergoing fertility treatments over the holidays. I remember decorating the tree and looking at that ornament in a different way. I held it tightly and prayed, "Please, please Jesus. Bring us a baby. Somehow, some way."

This year when I put the baby ornament on the tree, I smiled. For at my feet, Sam was looking up at me with his toothy grin and squealing.

So last night at midnight, I lingered holding and snuggling little Sam. It was the perfect way to bring in Christmas day...holding the answer to my prayer.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh girl, I remember last Christmas having just found out not too long before that I was "expecting" and being so excited about knowing "next year" I'd have a little person in my arms....and how many prayers I said for him. And I too hold my little guy just a little closer and a little longer sometimes in the middle of the night when I think about that and about how much I prayed for him and how much has changed in my life since a year ago today. We have SO much to be thankful for!! Hope you're enjoying "1st Christmas" as much as we are! :) Enjoy your time being "trapped"...stay warm!! :)

Anonymous said...

Praise be to God. I rejoice with you!