12.28.2009

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.

Snow. Snow, snow, and more snow. We've gotten about 15 inches of snow in the past few days. Fortunately, I have a Nissan XTerra....made for off-roading in 4WD, right? Wrong. I don't know what's up with the 4WD, but even though the light is on, it's not navigating through the snow very well. The problem is that we live at the top of a circle. There's a sketchy rental house half-way down the hill in which a car is parked in the street. Apparently they don't understand that the term "Snow Emergency" means get your car off the street! Even if a snow plow were to come up the circle, they can't because of this car. We were all dressed up and ready for church yesterday morning, and we couldn't get out of our driveway. Our next-door neighbor contracted a pick-up to plow his driveway, in which all of the excess snow was dumped in front of our driveway. Jason had to continue to shovel out of the snow, drive back and forth, repeat. We got Sam out of the car and carried him up the driveway and back inside. No church yesterday. Quite eventful. Needless to say, Jason and I have both emailed the city of Omaha, and I called this morning to get our circle plowed. If it were Jason and me, I wouldn't care. I'd dig myself out here and there, but still run the gym or to Target to just "get out." But w/ an almost 7-month old who relies on formula for nutrition, I get a little nervous taking him out on the snowy streets and risk getting stuck somewhere. Especially by myself. I just wish my XTerra would really kick into 4WD and stop being so temperamental, since this is now a safety issue. Ugh! Thanks for letting me stay on my soapbox! Any ideas on what to do about the random car in the street? I wonder if I can have it towed? Another problem is that most of our neighbors are in their 50's, 60's, and 70's...and they're getting stuck. Jason has to keep going outside to help them in and out of the circle, pushing cars and shoveling them out. Needless to say, it's days like this when I want to live somewhere warm and miss California!

To end on a positive note, my family finally had Christmas yesterday. It was great to have Jill, Rob, Ethan, and Lynn all in town. We opened gifts, ate and ate and ate, and talked a lot. Sam even took a bath in Grammy's sink! My mom has tried so hard to accommodate everyone, especially the babies...she got an extra pack&play, some extra "big-boy" toys for Ethan, and busted out the baby comb last night for Sam. She definitely has a grandma house: a crib, blankets, diapers, wipes & wipe warmer, exersaucer, etc.etc.etc.! I am thankful for her and how much she does for the family. She always wants everyone to feel comfortable, fed, and happy to be home. She reminds me a lot of Sally Fields on Brothers & Sisters. If momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy. :)
Anyway, it was a good Christmas. I'm just bummed because Jason's family-Christmas has been postponed till next weekend and it was just strange to not see them over the holiday. I think we're getting together on Friday for a belated celebration.
Well, Sam's down for a nap...I need to pick up and organize all of the gifts we received and make lists for thank-you notes. Jason got me a couple workout DVD's and some pretty clothes, and my mom got me the Anne of Green Gables DVD series. Yeah! Sam got spoiled with toys, clothes, and books. He got a cute Husker outfit, which he will be wearing on Wednesday for the bowl game. Go Huskers!

No comments: