12.21.2009

Distractions

So this morning, I had to cut Sam's fingernails. AGAIN. Man, no one every told me baby's nails grow so fast. He usually sits pretty quietly while I trim them, right after a bottle. But lately he throw a fit if I attempt to cut them. Some people recommend biting the nails off, but that doesn't work too well for us.
So, I did it. Something I swore I'd never do...I opened the laptop and put on a PBS video of Clifford & Sesame Street so he could watch it and be distracted. Me, the anti-TV-because-I've-seen-the-results-of-kids-living-in-front-of-TV Mom, turned it on. The irony? Megan Mullally (Karen from Will & Grace) was on Sesame Street teaching the word "distraction." I kept laughing because little does Sam know her real character on TV is an inappropriate alcoholic. (Are there really any appropriate alcoholics?)
When the nail-trimming was finished, I shut the laptop and belted out "Angels We Have Heard on High." Sam thought it was pretty funny. Anyway, I definitely don't want to get into that habit of Sam sitting in front of a laptop or TV...although I hate to admit he's probably watched hours of football while Daddy was "baby-sitting" him. :) Some research says kids shouldn't watch TV until 3 years old. Oops.
It's kinda like I was never going to have a student do a worksheet because it wasn't engaging enough. After 8 years in the classroom, I've changed my tune.
I'm such a first-time Mom it's not even funny.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Me too Leigh. I hate having the t.v. on with Ezra, but I know he watches lots of deer hunting, and "Intervention" (A&E), and other boring man-shows on t.v. with his daddy. Ezra is SUCH a couch potato when it's on too. I don't get it! He will be facing away from the t.v. and will totally crane his neck backwards to see the t.v. if he hears that it's on. I'm still not planning on him having t.v. time himself for quite some time. He needs to use his imagination and creativity when he's little. He'll have plenty of time to let his brain turn to mush when he's older!! :) (I'm sure I'll have my moments too where you "NEED" to use that t.v. some....I mean, let's be real. But for the most part, I'm really with ya on that one!

Now....let's talk about trimming fingernails. OY VEY!!!!!! Seriously....I feel like I trim them every other day, and they're still longer than mine! And SHARP!!! I feel like I'm neglecting him a lot b/c I put of doing it b/c he gets SO squirmy, but then he ends up scratching his face if I don't!! Oh what to do?!?!?! Honestly I try to do when he's actually sleeping, but I forget a lot and end up just doing it after changing his diapers.