Some people, I think, are naturally organized. Like naturally "smart" people who don't have to study for tests. Well, I was one of those people who HAD to study for tests and HAVE to work at being organized. And it feels like no matter how hard I try, there are still piles...of well, crap.
Am I the only one who feels this way? I have pile of clothes in my closet. I go through PJ's, workout clothes, lounge-around-the-house clothes, and go-out-in-public clothes...and that's all in one day. I just find myself piling them up b/c they're not necessarily dirty, but I'm usually in a rush to get my crying baby or my toddler...that I just throw it into a pile. If it's a spit-up-coated piece of clothing, though, that goes down the chute. :)
Then there's the mail. Oh my goodness!!! This is my lifelong battle. Since we have a multi-level, our desk area is downstairs w/ the big paper shredder. And when I'm coming inside from running errands, I usually go upstairs. Mail goes on the kitchen table. (Most of which is junk mail.) I'm rushing getting ready for dinner, so I plop all of the mail onto the dining room table. On top of other "mail piles." Then by the weekend, it's a pile of papers that stresses me out! I have a file neatly labeled w/ sections for recycle, shred, Jason, Leigh, insurance, taxes, etc., but it's a matter of GOING THROUGH this that takes so much effort. Sometimes it's a piece of mail that Jason and I need to discuss the level of importance...so it's in the "?" pile. UGH. Anyone else struggle w/ this?!
Anyway, thought I'd vent here. I feel like every time I turn around, there's more stuff. That I need to pick up/organize/throw away/ shred/ clean, etc. It. Never. Stops. And that's my venting session of the day. The moral of the story? I may own a label-maker to get organized, but I don't know where it is. :)
*Disclaimer* I really have tried...I have various plastic tubs labeled w/ index cards w/ their contents written on the cards, etc., but don't open the containers. They probably need a spring cleaning too. :)
2 comments:
Leigh, I have to disagree with you here. Unless you've changed a lot since college, I would say you are an organized person by nature. Your kids just make it harder to follow through with. I read an article recently that talked about the rule of 1. It said anything that takes a minute or less should be done on the spot.
You probably have more mail that I do, but I open mine as I'm walking into the house with it. Junk immediately goes into the trash and bills, or mail that has to be dealt with goes into a file. As far as the clothes, I'm not sure I can help much. I usually have to clean off my spare bed on the weekend and decide if the clothes I've thrown on it are cleanish and need to be hung, or dirty and need to go in the laundry.
I saw this a month or two ago and am still contemplating getting it . . .
http://minimalistpackrat.com/30-day-clutter-bootcamp/
Post a Comment