1.04.2011

Can I have any more drama?

Seriously. This is almost getting comical. So for the past couple of days I noticed that my leg has been pinker, or a noticeably different color than my right. I was at one doctor today who recommended I call my family doctor about it. He also noticed my left leg was much colder to the touch than my right leg. Since I haven't been using my left leg very much at all the past 3 weeks, I wondered if it was just poor circulation and wasn't too worried about it. I called my family doctor just to make sure, and she said I needed to go to the ER right away in case it was a blood clot.
As I was thinking of the song, "It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year," I drove to the hospital. I was actually on my way to get my haircut which is conveniently by the hospital. So who's the first person I call about this sudden ER visit? My hairdresser, of course! I had to cancel the appt. Then I called home to check on the kiddos. I then called Jason and told him not to freak out and what the situation was, and of course, he said, "I'll be right there." Have I mentioned how much I love this man?
Anyway, everything is fine. I was spoiled and our friend Carey was my nurse. She's so great! They were very thorough...I had a scan to ensure no clotting, and had lots of blood work done to test white blood cell count, kidney and liver function, etc.etc.etc...and I'm in the clear. They just said it possibly could go with the numbness from the sciatica. So as I limped around the hospital in my oh-so-vogue hospital gown, I was thinking about how thankful I am. Within minutes, I received great medical care and was sent home. Thank you, Lord!
The topper is that my carpal tunnel has been bothering me so badly that I can barely nurse, express milk, etc. I tried to pick up Mary through the night and my hand went out. It was spasming so badly and tingling and literally wouldn't work. Seriously? So I dug through my closet to find my arm braces to stabilize my arms, and was trying to nurse looking like a professional boxer. Since I couldn't express milk, Mary would nurse, and then my back started spasming. Remember that I can't take ANY anti-inflammatory meds three days before my procedure. So I'm on no meds and Mary and I are both crying at 5 AM.
Then I stopped and looked at her. She's one month old today (technically yesterday). One month. I feel like it's been a total blur w/ all of these health issues, I've barely had time to dote over her. She looked so cute with bed-head hair and was half-awake hollering to eat. I took a picture--she looked so darn cute. I didn't want to miss this moment. I gave her a bottle of milk I had pumped earlier and she was so content.
So here I am, wide awake, the gloves are off, and I had to write this. I just thought...man, what next?
Please pray for the procedure on Wednesday. It's my 2nd epidural and we're hoping it will take away most if not all of the pain and numbness. Pray also for Sam. He's had SO much to deal with: new baby, Mommy is out of commission, and a toddler bed (so I don't have to lift him out of bed). I also can't lift him into the car, so he's literally been cooped up in the house since Christmas. Plus it's been too cold to go anywhere. I did get a phone call last night from a special friend (you know who you are!) offering to take Sam in the morning for a play date and then bring supper over tomorrow night. It always happens, that when I feel like I simply can't take one more step (figuratively and literally), God provides JUST who or what I need at that moment.

Great is Thy faithfulness.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Leigh I have been praying for you and your family. I know God is a healer!!! I wish I lived closer so I could help. Rachel