3.19.2010

The Zoo, A Banquet, & Mommy Questions

Another day. Today it's cloudy and snowing. SO...I'm celebrating with still being in my PJ's, watching The View, & drinking coffee. Yesterday was a long day. A good day, but a long day. We went to the ZOO! It was FINALLY sunny and relatively warm, so Sam and I celebrated by going to the zoo! He was so funny. It was kinda sad...last time we went (last summer) he was so little, he was still in the car seat/stroller combo. Now he's in the big-boy stroller, facing outward, holding a sippy cup?!? My baby is growing up!!! He was so funny. His response to most animals was a resounding slobbery raspberry. He got scared in the aquarium because it got darker and there were sharks floating overhead. I guess I'd be scared of that too! He also petted a goat. What a sweet baby. One little girl said, "He's not wearing shoes!" (Sam, not the goat.) I replied, "That's because he can't walk yet!" Any philosophies on when to start shoes? Maybe I'm too cheap...I figure, he's not walking, still working on the crawling...why buy shoes yet?

Last night Jason & I attended the AAA Center for Pregnancy Counseling Banquet (renamed from the "Crisis" Pregnancy Center...I like the new name better). It was really neat...there are great things happening in that ministry! Many abortion-minded women enter, and after having an ultra sound and some encouraging words and prayer, they often choose to parent. They had many flowers displayed...a few white roses represented miscarriages, a few red roses represented babies aborted, a few yellow roses represented mothers who are still undecided, and then over 700 blue and pink carnations represented babies born due to mothers who CHOSE to parent. There were also many white carnations representing people who have come to Christ. We were encouraged to take flowers home to pray for those certain babies, so we're praying for a baby boy and a baby girl and someone who has accepted Christ. Thank you Lord for saving these children and working in the moms' and dads' lives!

By the way...I'm not sure if I've written about Sam's teeth lately. He has two bottom teeth, and then one canine. It looks hilarious! We call him (affectionately) "Snaggletooth." Of course it won't last long...it looks like his front two teeth have cut through, almost overnight. No Tylenol needed! He is my buddy. He is getting so grown up. He is almost pulling himself up on the couch. If I'm ever online or reading a book, and he's playing on the floor, he crawls up to me like a little puppy and we play peek-a-boo. How much do I love this child??? HE IS MY JOY!

I'm still confused on the whole food/formula thing. Everything I read is different. When can he have water? My ped says to give him water to "practice with" in a sippy cup. He thinks it's a toy. I know he switches to milk at year one, no honey or PB or nuts or raisins or popcorn, but what about grains? I've read mixed reviews about grains too early and causing allergies. And if they can't have milk till year one, can he have yogurt and cheese? I've also read about milk allergies, etc. I think I'll start next w/ unseasoned chicken, yogurt, and peaches. How long do I have to do the wait-4-days-between-each-new-food thing? We're still doing about 4-5 bottles a day, he's not big on the sippy cup, and he eats about 3x a day w/ fruits, veggies, and a little rice cereal. (And then I read about no strawberries or blueberries?) I know that there's probably no science, but honestly, I'm so behind in my What to Expect the First Year book...I have some catching up to do. :) Any thoughts? Wow, I'm such a new mom.

2 comments:

sara luke said...

Every doctor will literally tell you something completely different. We did yogurt and cottage cheese before Jack was a year . . . maybe at 9 months or so. At a year, we started using sunbutter . . . it's peanut-butter like and is made out of sunflower seeds. We LOVE it and I'm actually looking forward to having it in the house again for Ben. We made him little peanut butter sandwiches and eventually let him dip apples in it.

With the sippy cup, try letting him sip out of it without a lid. Put his hands on it and, of course, you'll need to hold it too, but it will show him that there's something to be had in it. We did that for the first month of solids with Jack and then he had very little problem when we switched back to having the top on. Just a thought. Ben loves the sippy cup, but mainly just wants to gnaw on it. He just had his first two teeth push through and he is CRANKY, so I think he's probably getting some more. He's not crazy about eating any sort of food, though. That's our struggle.

I did the new food every 3 - 4 days until Jack was about a year. Not always, but usually.

Sarah said...

I had the same question about the dairy a while back, so researched & asked my dad about it, and dairy is okay now as long as it's whole milk (just b/c they need that whole fat) and it's pasteurized. whole fat yogurt, cottage cheese, swiss, cheddar, havarti, etc. 9 mos is when "the books" will say it's okay to introduce it, but I think even at 7 it's okay.

I did the 3-4 days thing with all of the 1st foods, but once he'd tried all of the basic fruits & veggies, I kind of slacked off on that. He eats stage 2 foods now and a lot of them are "mixed veggies" or "fruit medleys". Although it takes him at least 2 days to finish a pack (he only eats dinner at my house...b'fast & lunch is at my parents'), so I guess he really does go at least 2 days on a new food.

The foods that are more allergenic, I'm pretty conservative with. (strawberry, tomato, etc) I'd rather be safe than sorry. I WISH we had the peanut butter substitutes that Sara's talking about, but not at stores around here!! :( Oh, but it's on pg 312 of the What to Expect book.....I actually was reading it TODAY!!! :) I hadn't picked the book up in a few months!!

Sippy cup: Ezra just thinks his is a toy too. We do try it frequently. I even gave it to him in the bathtub tonight since he gets so wet when he's using it!! :) He does love drinking from a glass though, so I think I'm gonna try Sara's plan of just taking the lid off. Ezra doesn't usually tip the sippy back far enough to get anything otherwise. I get lazy about even having him practice though b/c he doesn't act ready for it....but then i'm scared he'll reject the sippy later and only WANT a bottle when he's really too old for a bottle!! Oh the hard decisions of parenting!!! :)