1.13.2010

Oh coffee, how I love thee.

The good news? Sam is sleeping better! The bad news? Mommy still isn't. I've been struggling w/ insomnia since Sam was born. Well, who are we kidding...when I was giant pregnant I wasn't sleeping well either. I guess I was so used getting up every 30-45 minutes this past week to pick Sam up while he was choking and gagging on his own mucus (poor baby :( ), so I layed awake listening for him. Then I was WIDE awake...from about 11 to 4. I even tried counting backwards from 300 by three's like Dr. Oz recommended. That just reminded me about how I am so NOT a math major.

Anyway, I am so glad Sam is finally on the upswing. He's still congested and has a cough, but it's the end-of-a-cold type of cough, so that's great. He did want to eat at about 2:30 AM for some reason...probably because he didn't eat as much yesterday. He had two almost 3-hour naps yesterday, so his routine is a little whacked.

Sam! He is getting SO STRONG. He's almost 22 pounds and impossible to hold on to. He wiggles and want to touch and get into everything. The placemat next to his highchair is often ripped off the table, as well as any toy placed on his highchair tray. Which reminds me...do I start disciplining him as he's throwing things on the floor? I really don't think he knows he's doing it, but then sometimes after he hears it hit the floor he giggles and smiles at me. I did swat him on the bottom when he kept rolling onto his tummy while I was trying to change his diaper. Those cloth diapers just simply take longer, and I said firmly, "Sam, stay on your back." (With all my training, kids remember the last word you say...so instead of saying, "Stop rolling over" I say "stay on your back"...or "WALK" not "RUN." Sure, I'm sure that psychology is already working on my 7-month old. Not really. :) ) He didn't react, though, he just laughed at me and then stayed on his back.

He is so wanting to crawl. I am so not ready for this. I know I should be excited, but when he just lays there and rolls from tummy to back and vice versa, life is pretty darn easy. I admit, I am being lazy about the beginning of major baby-proofing w/ baby gates etc. (why did I buy a multi-level again?) I guess it's good inspiration. People say the heavier the baby, the later they crawl, walk, etc. b/c there's "more to move." But he's up on his hands pretty high in a push-up motion, and his knees are getting under him. Last night he did that for the first time, and Jason cheered, "C'mon buddy!" I shouted, "No! Don't do it! I'm against mobility!" :) We laughed.
Anyway, Sam is down for a nap, and I'm torn whether to do a workout DVD, take a shower, or take a nap. I think I'm going to work out. I've consumed more sugar in the last month than I have in a long time. I need detox!!!

PS- This insomnia-struggle makes me fear that I may have to give up "the bean" again. No, no, no...I cannot function without coffee. It's my favorite part of the morning! And when I don't sleep all night, how am I supposed to be alert enough to take care of Sammy? It's a vicious cycle, I tell you. A vicious cycle.

1 comment:

sara luke said...

Yeah, when people heard that Jack was 20 lb at 4 mo, they'd tell me that he'd probably be slow to crawl and walk. I just smiled and nodded. I don't think the weight slowed him down as much as it made him stronger! :)