2.01.2009

You Just Have to Laugh

Well, here I am, laying in bed so very sick. I've had a cold for a few days, which in my body, inevitably turns into a sinus infection. Tylenol and Sinus Sudafed are apparently okay to take while pregnant, which I've been avoiding, but I finally buckled. Last night at 2AM my pain level was about a 9 in my head and ears, so I took a Tylenol. Oh well. 

So yesterday, even though I felt miserable, I wanted to get out of the house. Jason and I went to shop for cribs. It's funny...I always told myself, if I ever did become pregnant, I would never be one of those gals in sweats and in the "I-don't-care-what-I-look-like" mode, but yesterday was one of those days. We were out and about, and I had a maternity t-shirt stretched over my belly, sweats, and tennis shoes. My purse was overflowing with new and used Kleenexes, and I had zero makeup on. I remember saying, "I really hope I don't run into anyone I know." 

Well, of course the pregnant women who were also out shopping for cribs, were quite put together. One in particular had a darling red maternity top, black leggings, leopard print ballet flats, a giant gold purse, perfectly highlighted hair and beautiful makeup. How humbling. 

After seeing another beautiful pregnant mommy with her just as put-together mom, husband, and twins, I plopped down in a glider..."trying it out." It actually felt great to sit. Jason just looked at me and said, "Oh honey." I just really wanted to order a crib and glider, b/c I'm already 23 weeks, and I know some furniture can take up to 12 weeks to deliver and we hadn't even started looking. I've just been too exhausted to shop. (I secretly despise shopping...pregnant or not.) 

Anyway, while sitting in the glider, I had a mother-of-all sneezes. I sneezed so loudly, and it was one of those shoot-snot-everywhere types of sneezes. I had it all over my chin, hands, some on the Kleenex, and so on. I looked down and there was even snot all over my t-shirt. It literally looked like I spilled something down the front of my shirt. Jason just looked at me and said, "Honey, let's go. Do you want to put your sweatshirt on to cover that up?" He really looked at me like I was a pitiful creature. 

I responded, "When I sneezed, I peed a little bit. We'd better go." We just laughed so loudly and he put his arm around me. He kept saying I was more beautiful today than yesterday, but I was humiliated. But I just had to laugh. 

6 comments:

Kyle Luke said...

Poor thing . . . being sick and crib shopping. Two things that should never go hand in hand.

At least you both got a good laugh out of it . . .

Michael Born said...

Okay that is way too funny!! You poor thing...I am sure many other mom's can relate!!!!
Hope your sneezes have gone away!

Sarah said...

THAT is a good story :) I'm glad you posted it so you'll never forget it :) Wishing you lots of antibodies to fight off your cold!! :) Feel better soon!

Kyle Luke said...

Hey . . . it's been over a month!

The Toms said...

okay, you don't even know how much this posting made me laugh. brought me to tears really laughing so hard. oh man i'm so glad that jason was with you and not me:) miss you and can't wait for your little bundle to get here!

The Toms said...

okay, you don't even know how much this posting made me laugh. brought me to tears really laughing so hard. oh man i'm so glad that jason was with you and not me:) miss you and can't wait for your little bundle to get here!