7.24.2010

1st Steps & Buying PINK!

Lots has happened since I last blogged. I think it's funny that "blog" can also be a verb...if I would have heard that word in high school, I would've thought it was a term for a group of people of something.
Sam is (trying to) walk! Last Saturday night, I was on the phone w/ the phone-a-nurse. I had taken Sam to the dr. that morning because it was day #4 of a fever, and he had an ear infection. He was on lots of Tylenol and Motrin and antibiotics, and his new "thing" is being jealous if I'm ever on the phone. I was by myself b/c Jason went to a wedding reception, which were supposed to be at...but right before we left I noticed that Sam had a rash from head to toe. Yikes.
Anyway, I waited for the nurse to call back for over an hour, as I was physically exhausted from trying to give Sam his medicine, ear-numbing drops, supper, and bathe him. He is SO strong and almost impossible to hang on to, especially with my now-growing belly bump. I answered the phone and Sam was almost "manic" for attention. He was screaming and bucking and crawling as fast as he could everywhere. I was having him "chase" me while I was on the phone, because at 25 pounds, he's too heavy to carry for long periods of time. He'll also take the phone if I'm on it to "talk." :) Anyway, I turned to look at him, and he took 3 "real" steps from the couch to the center of the living room. I gasped to myself, "You just WALKED!" but I was in the middle of answering 5 million triage questions about Sam's temperature, what the rash looks like, hydration, etc.etc.etc. I was so tired once Jason got home, I was in tears. I said, "Sam has been out of control. And by the way, he walked." Jason couldn't believe it.

The next day Sam showed off his skills once again for Gammy and Papa (my mom and dad), but he looked so pale and sickly and still had his rash, it was kinda sad. Poor baby. :( The dr. said it fell in the roseola category. She said he had a bad virus that caused the ear infection, and once the fever finally broke, the rash came in all of its glory, which can last up to 10 days. It has felt like winter because we've been stuck inside for so long. The heat and sun would make Sam's rash worse, so we've just tried to stay inside. And it's been SO hot (heat index in the 100's), that that's just what we had to do. We spent a day or 2 at my mom's just to get out of the house. Anyway, he's feeling better now. We went to the farmer's market this morning and Sam loved watching people with their dogs. He wasn't too into the veggies. :)

The following Monday, we had our big 20-week ultra sound. We were initially going to take Sam, but his rash still looked so awful I didn't want pregnant women to freak out around him. He also still wasn't 100% to be out and about. It was actually kinda nice for just Jason and me to go together. It was almost like a date! We've been so busy with Sam, it's been hard to process this pregnancy. I only had an idea for a girl name, so if it was a boy, I was a little concerned. I secretly was wanting a girl because I thought it'd be neat to have one of each, but I had a feeling it was a boy. And that would be great too because then Sam would have a playmate so close in age. Anyway, when the ultra sound tech said it was a girl, I screamed. She said when we get the DVD of the ultra sound, when she typed "It's a girl" and it started shaking, that's because I was screaming. :) It was cute because the little baby was picking her nose and yawning. How cool is that that you can SEE that on an ultra sound?!!? Anyway, we know the name, but I'll save that for another blog. It's really sweet and perfect and I'm so excited about it. :) Sam's going to have a little SISTER! We're practicing saying sister, and Sam just says, "Sssssss." Close enough. :)

3 comments:

sara luke said...

Yay! Congratulations!

And I totally get the heavy baby thing . . . Jack was 24 pounds at 6 months old. Ben's only 23 at 9 months and I'm loving that he's so much smaller!

Jill Gries said...

I am so EXCITED for you! It is great having one of each....a perfect little family! I hope Sam is feeling well. He really is having a rough year. Grant was kind of like that his first year, but it got better. Take care!

Sarah said...

I am SO excited for you guys and your new baby girl! Can't wait to hear her name!

Hope Sam gets back to 100% soon. I feel for you.....Ezra has been running a temp for a week now...that went from teething, to vomiting, to super runny nose. Ugh!