11.30.2008

God's Sense of Humor

I've been avoiding creating a blog. Who wants to read my thoughts, anyway? Jason and I have been on such a roller coaster throughout the last two years, that I felt I needed to express it. So here goes:

Married June 4, 2005. Amazing. Wonderful. I married my best friend. Even though there were tornado warnings between the ceremony and reception, it still turned out to be an amazing day. 

Honeymoon in Mexico. Jason lost his wedding band in the Carribean, Hurricane Arlene was on its way, and we both returned with Montezuma's Revenge. Not exactly as the travel pamphlet advertises, but we swam in a cave and bargain shopped the markets. Room service was also DIVINE. 

Married for 2 years, two apartments later...our first apartment had severe mold issues and gave us the wonderful gift of sinus infections. The apartment was mostly for the elderly, so we loved it. Ask us about our good buddy Auggie one day. Jason also has had 2 kidney stones that sent him to the ER. Fun trying to get your completely drug-induced comatose 6 foot, 230-pound husband, up 3 flights of stairs in an apartment complex reeking of Indian curry at 4 AM.  

After all of our fun adventures,  the discussion of children came up. After all of my health issues, I knew it would be a difficult feat. After many failed fertility treatments and tears, we'd begun the process of adoption. We completed the home study last month and are waiting excitedly to hear from our caseworker when we will officially be in the waiting pool. 

In the meantime, I've been seeing a chiropractor who specializes in acupuncture and nutritional supplements. I went to him hoping that my body would at least be able to regulate itself naturally. Since I may have PCOS and/or endometriosis, I've been told that I am at a great risk for uteran and/or ovarian cancer. I thought at least getting regular cycles would help relieve symptoms and cysts. 

Well, I also had to maintain a strict diet of all organic produce, free-range/hormone free meat and eggs, raw milk, and little or no sugar or refined grains. Fun, fun, fun! This worked for a few months, but died out once school began. 

I began to eat what I wanted, and hadn't had a cycle for four months. I'd already taken pregnancy tests which were negative, so I was awaiting a cycle. I rarely, if ever, ovulate, let alone get a cycle, so being pregnant wasn't an option. PLUS we were already excited about adoption. . .hopefully transracially!

THEN I woke up yesterday morning. I'd purchased the cheapest generic brand pregnancy test for $4 at Hy-Vee. I peed on the stick at 4:30 in the morning, and it instantly showed a heavy dark line on the positive side. I mean it skipped over the usual control lines that appear first. I did a double-take. Are you kidding??? I peed on the other test enclosed. Same thing. 

Okay, so I instantly think of the sinus infection I had last month, the antibiotics I've taken, the cups of coffee I've drunk, the high impact aerobics I've attempted. Even the previous day I was jump roping like a crazy woman and lifting weights! I couldn't understand why the weight wasn't coming off!!! 

I know my fertility specialist is open at 7 AM each day, so I knew I had to call her. After all Jason and I have gone through, I knew to be cautiously optimistic. I woke Jason up, who is also fighting an awful head cold, which was difficult...he had taken Ny-Quil the night before, and I for some reason abstained...so he was a bit hungover. I just turned on the light. I told him, "I think we're gonna have a baby." He sat up in bed and said, "Really?" I pulled the 2 tests out of my robe pocket and showed him and told him I was going to call the dr. right away at 7 to see if I could get in. He was excited too, but it was bittersweet for us, after we've done SO much to prepare for adoption. 

So the receptionist at the dr. said, "Yes! We'll get you right in! Go to the hospital to pathology right away and we'll get your results back quickly!" So we did. A cute Asian guy drew my blood. One vein failed, the other arm won. I didn't care. I just wanted to know. 

After, Jason and I went to Panera to have pastries and hot cocoa and just stared at each other. We went home. We both still aren't feeling well with awful colds...I just layed there and kept praying over and over in my head:
Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, in prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God, and the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Phillipians 4:6-7

Finally, an hour and a half later, my cell rang. The nurse sounded hesitant. "Leigh? Honey, you're pregnant. When was your last period? Are you on any prenatal vitamins???" "No, I haven't had a cycle since August. I took tests in Sept. which were negative." (which now that I think of it, I think those tests had expired) I asked what my beta count was, and I knew over 5 was pregnant. "Leigh, it's over 32,000. You're very pregnant. You need to be in here for an ultrasound on Monday. You could already be 9-12 weeks." 
I hung up and screamed, "WE'RE PREGNANT!!!" We just hugged and Jason prayed and thanked God for our answered prayers and His timing. 
I don't even know if I'll post this. I don't even know when we'll tell people. I guess I've seen and read SO much, that until I have a healthy baby in my arms, I won't believe it. I also wish Jason and I were feeling better this weekend to enjoy it. He already got some amazing Western medicine, while I'm hot packing my face, drinking tons of Powerade, and going through 3 boxes of Kleenex a day. But it's worth it. Because we're having a baby.   

3 comments:

Sarah said...

This brings tears to my eyes! I LOVE your story! And YES....I want to read your words and thoughts! And am SO excited that we can go through some of this journey together even though you're WAY ahead of me! Ironically though, we found out almost at the same time! :) (What day DID you find out??) Anyway, love your story and can't wait to keep reading more! Sorry for posting on every single post. Just wanted to give you a warm welcome to blog world, AND how can a prego woman resist another prego's blog?! :)

Kyle Luke said...

Yay! For your baby and your blog! I'm so excited to read more!

Michael Born said...

That is such a neat story!!! I am looking forward to following your blog!!!!